Friday, August 15, 2014

Friday, August 15-Kindergarten

            My name is Jack White. I am about to go on my first day in kindergarten, the beginning of my education. I wait with my siblings at the bus-stop. Ready, and impatient to get there. I've been told kindergarten is fun. That it's a worthwhile experience. I'm ready to find out. The bus pulls into the stop and we board. Already, the bus is packed full of strangers, and I'm not quite sure how to react. I go to the closest empty seat, remembering the words of my mother, "Don't sit in the back, Jack.", she told me. On the bus ride there, I pull out a book and begin to read. I had been taught by my mother almost 2 years before how to read. Apparently, there are those who still cannot at my age. I'm told I'm very smart, and i don't mind the praise in the slightest. 
     When the bus pulls in my brother brings me to my class, as I am unsure of where to go. I sit in a chair, and continue to read, as other children run about or continue piling in through the door. The bell rings, and the teacher asks who is here and who is not, going down her list one by one. She calls it "taking roll." There is no one missing and she asks us all to sit on the floor in the middle of the room. 
              We all take a seat on the rug where she indicated we sit. The teacher begins to explain a game, in which we introduce ourselves, but must say a word describing us which begins with the same letter as our first name. Annoying form of introduction, but the other children around me appear to enjoy the exercise, so I imitate their enthusiasm. I introduce myself as "jolly Jack." It sounds like some sort of pirate name, and certainly doesn't describe me, but adjectives that start with J are in limited supply. Perhaps after my education is complete I will find a better word. 
          Later on in class, the teacher has us draw pictures of a certain word she states, then asks us to spell the word. They were pretty common, and considering I had already been taught reading and writing, I was well ahead of the curve, though I didn't discover this fact until after she asked us to spell "chimney." She went around the room checking the children's work. When she got to me, I was putting some finishing touches on my drawing to accompany the word I had already spelled. Her entire demeanor shifted, and she seemed unusually excited. She congratulated me for using "CH" in the word chimney. She was so proud that I was capable of this simple act of spelling that she showed me off around the room, then began to tour me around the school. I was very proud of myself, and much enjoyed the massive amounts of attention. One of the classrooms even gave me some trail-mix they had just made for a project. 
     When I got home I bragged about the whole experience to my parents. They were very proud as well, and i was always seen as the smartest in the class from then on, which delightfully made all the other children hate me, due to jealousy. This was certainly a worthwhile experience. 

       

No comments:

Post a Comment