Friday, August 29, 2014

Friday, August 29- Two Moons

         When we emerged from the depths of the sea, after the passing storm, our submarine was still malfunctioning. Our engineers and mechanics had no idea what was wrong. It simply went haywire. We decided to send a few people up top to help guide us to land. I couldn't help but think back to those times when ships were made of wood, and navigators relied on a sailor in the Crow's Nest, and the constellations in the night sky, as opposed to the instruments and technologies we use today. This situation had rendered our ship no better than one Blackbeard might have sailed in, but it was almost fun. I was one of those sent up to help navigate the submarine, bringing my sextant with me. Night had fallen already, apparently. The storm must have lasted longer than we thought. I brought out my sextant, and then I noticed the two sailors with me; their mouths were gaping like angler fish, as they stared up into the sky. I looked up to see what caught their attention, and though I was no longer aware of anything other than what I saw, and the dread it brought upon me, I'm sure I gaped as well. The sky had two moons. The sky had two moons! I thought I must be having double vision, but i blinked my eyes, shook my head, looked up, and there were still two round glowing orbs, each at a separate height in the sky, one appearing larger and brighter, though only slightly.
         In desperation I brought up my sextant to measure the constellations but they were unfamiliar to me. I won't claim to know every constellation on Earth, but these didn't make any sense at all. I practically slid down the ladder to the deck, and ran as fast as i could to find the star charts. I grabbed them, still being careful not to rip or damage them, then i climbed back topside, this time hesitantly. I didn't want to solidify what I already knew. I didn't want to really know. Still, I reached the top, pulled out the charts, along with the sextant and tried to find just one constellation that matched. There were none, and my fears were realized. This wasn't Earth. I have no idea how it happened, I have no idea why, but neither of those answers would change our predicament. I reported the news to my captain, he was skeptical at first, but we showed him. He was clearly frightened, but tried not to show it. He told us to look for land, any land. We had been travelling through the waters for several miles, and then several more. There wasn't a speck of land in sight. Out here, stranded, with limited rations, we began to waste away as the days, then weeks, then months crawled by. Some of our crew started to get sick then die, from starvation, dehydration, and other afflictions. There are only three of us left now. Me, my captain, and the cook, whom I suspect has been sneaking rations. We'll all die eventually, so it doesn't matter much anyways. We've circled this globe twice, in search for any land; we never found any. Now we simply float here, awaiting our inevitable deaths, and despairing for the world which was lost to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment